Saturday, January 8, 2011

Super Dust Deputy

After retiring, I wanted to do some woodworking, but had very little experience or knowledge about it. One of the first pieces of equipment I purchased was a Delta Dust Collector, not because I had research them and found this one to be the best, but rather it was an impulse buy because it was on sale.

It had great suction, but the bags were too thin, and the air was not breathable when I used it in the same rome as me. I decided to make a closet for it, and to fit the room with a furnace air filter. It also reduced the noise the machine generates. That was in 2009. The enclosed room worked well, except when it was time to empty the sawdust bag. This was a messy job, where you had to do it on a warm day in summer, wear a mask to protect you from the dust, and leave a trail of dust from the shop into the garage.

December 2011, I wanted to correct these problems with my dust collection system. I had read alot about collection systems, and thought that my best option was to add a Dust Cyclone to my system so that the dust would be separated out before it fills the Collector bag.

I ended up buying two, one small one for the shop vacume, and a larger one which I fitted on top of a garbage can inside the Dust Closet.


At that time, the 4-inch intake hose went into the closet on the floor (seen at bottom right), and the Delta  fan with it's two bags is just behind the wall.

Here are some pictures of how the Super Dust Deputy was fastened to the plywood and garbage can lid.

No comments: