Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Safety Lights on Bandsaw

Now that I'm older, and my eyes no longer focus easily to any distance,
and my ears need a few decibels of volume to get my attention, I found
that when the dust collection system was "ON" and the Bandsaw had been
turned "OFF" --that it was not easy for me to see if the blade was still moving or not.

I decided to make a safety modification to my saw. Now if the blade moves,
the two red led lights each side of it blink.

It's an easy project, and one that could save a finger someday when you're
older.

From Safety Lights on Band Saw

This is how to build it:

1. get yourself 2 bright red leds or another color you see well. 

2. connect them in series on a plastic frame made to fit on your saw. LEDs are devices that let current pass in one direction only, so they both have to be wired so they both permit current to flow in one direction. This can easily be determined using an ohm-meter.

3. obtain a low voltage power supply from a cellphone or other eletronic gadget no longer used. 
Use the lowest voltage unit that you find. I used a DC adapter, but because leds are diodes, AC will also work. (in the case of AC, the leds will only light for half of every cycle.)

4. Determine a current limit resistor value so that the leds produce just enough light when current is applied. If too much current flows, you''ll burn out the leds or they will have a very short life.
If you need help with this you  can email me at: smile4yourself@yahoo.ca

5. glue a magnet to the lower fly-wheel of your band saw, in a position where a magnetic switch will feel the magnetic force each time the wheel turns. I used silicone glue. The wheel has so much mass I was not too concerned about the vibration this might cause, but one could always glue two in opposite directions to reduce vibration.

6. install a magnetic switch in a position close to, but never touching the magnet as it turns. I did this on the bottom door.

See the picture details here.


No comments: